Aug 10, 2015

Celia on the Run


Celia on the Run 

Sarah Mandell 

Untreed Reads

Summary: 

Nick Novaczek is a cautious soul, a 17-year old with a quiet thirst for danger. On the eve of his grandmother’s funeral, danger finds him by the motel swimming pool. Her name is Celia and she’s everything he’s not. This foul-mouthed beauty is hitchhiking across the country to make amends with her estranged father and doesn’t carry an ounce of fear or hesitation in her tattered suitcase. 
Hours after meeting Celia, Nick is hopelessly hooked and “borrows” his parents’ car to join her mission, even though her story is full of holes. It’s the mistake he’s been waiting his whole life to make. After weeks of detours, with hundreds of miles left to go, their wild adventure unravels, but she won’t turn back, no matter how desperate things get. Celia’s got a charming smile to pay her way, a willing accomplice, and an endless supply of lies. Not to mention a gun.

Thoughts: 

Ideas are what fuel this blog. An open dialogue of thoughts flow between the reader and the author and the result is new perspectives. I love connecting with authors who I normally wouldn't have encountered. Sarah Mandell is a jack-of-all-trades. She owns her own Easy shop and has found time to write a novel with another in the works.  

When Nick meets Celia, teen vagabond, he seizes the chance to ditch his family and go on a road trip. Nick's a good guy trying to be bad so it seems like a good decision and Celia's just a bad girl. As they travel cross country towards their destination, Nick realizes that the secret to forgetting the past is moving forward. Celia can't keep running...

I finished this book in less than a day and found a diamond in the rough. I expected a run-of-the-mill teenage story centered around a road trip. I got so much more. Mandela peels away at the layers of each character and reveals each person's vulnerability. This book is about progress, grief, and change. 

Read this book if you find yourself at the end of the road and you need a fresh perspective. 

Rating: 4.5/5
  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Friend, I am honored you stopped by my little corner of the internet and shared your thoughts. I do read every comment and I am paying attention to what is being said. I encourage the feedback. If you have a more personal question I ask that you email me. Thank you!